News & Events
UPCOMING EVENTS - 2019 SCBC Herring Celebration - SAVE THE DATE!
Yes, we are the fun-loving folks who present the Annual SCBC Sausalito Herring Celebration fundraiser every January. This is a lively event on the Sausalito waterfront to celebrate the fishing and maritime history of Sausalito, to promote the SCBC agenda of environmental stewardship and education…and to raise funds for SCBC! Ever wonder about all the ruckus on the water every January with seals barking and birds diving? The herring fishery is the only commercial fishery inside the Golden Gate Bridge, and Richardson Bay is one of the last places that herring spawn in California. Herring are critical to the ecology of Richardson Bay Sanctuary, and beyond, as an essential prey item for marine birds, whales, seals and larger fish such as salmon. Eel grass beds in Richardson Bay act as a nursery to these baby fish. Come learn all about it, and truly ‘eat local’ by enjoying tasty dishes made with this shiny fish from right off our shore – served up by some of your favorite local chefs.
End of January is time to celebrate our local herring and support SCBC at Cass Gidley! We will once again provide the opportunity to see a great film, enjoy tasty herring dishes from local chefs, and hear some lively tunes – all while supporting development of the Sausalito Community Boating Center at Cass Gidley Marina.
- View "Blue Serengeti" the film that tracks the largest migration on Earth - right off our shores!
- JUST ADDED! A special screening about the C.A. Thayer, a restored schooner that is a quirky and wonderful National Park in SF
- Join a post-film conversation with us
- enjoy lively musical entertainment by Sea Forager's sea shanty quartet The Fishwives! Back by popular demand! (https://www.seaforager.com/the-fishwives-sea-shanty-trio)
- Indulge in delicious herring dishes presented by Sausalito restaurants. Davey Jones Deli, FISH, Joinery, 5 Stars and more...
- Take a docent-guided tour of the Tall Ship Matthew Turner
- AND hear the latest about the SCBC at Cass Gidley Marina project
Tickets are limited – purchase tickets https://www.eventbrite.com/e/scbc-herring-celebration-tickets-53972561384
Tickets are $40 for the Film and Herring Plate Lunch. Beverages are $5. Beer provided by Fort Point, Wine provided by Francis Ford Coppola.
Supporters have a choice of Two Screenings for “Blue Serengeti”
- Ticket#A - Morning: 11:00am Screening + 1:00pm Herring Lunch (Doors Open 10:30am)
- Ticket #B - Afternoon: 1:00pm Herring Lunch + 2:30pm Screening (Doors Open 1:00)
This event is a fundraiser to support Phase I renovation of the SCBC site at Cass Gidley Marina. This vital work will provide safe access to the water so we may begin programming, and is expected to begin this Winter.
THE LATEST ON THE PROJECT
While there isn't much evidence at our marina site, things have been happening behind the scenes... Most recently we are focused on completing the permitting, and raising the funds, for “Phase I: Access” of our site renovation. Phase I is a critical milestone for the project – because it will provide us safe access to the water – and will allow us to begin pilot programs on our own site. The complicated permitting process took some time, but we have ALL permits in hand and are ready to begin construction early 2019 in conjunction with the Dunphy Park renovations.
• Phase I plans completed – abutment, dock landing and ramp
• Phase I passed Design Review with the City of Sausalito Planning commission – unanimously – January 2017
• Aligned with Dunphy Park Master Plan and BCDC to support Phase I plans
• Building Permit ISSUED by City of Sausalito
• Eel Grass Survey completed and green lit
• BCDC permits ISSUED!
• We expect to begin construction this Winter 2019 with our contractor and crew of volunteers!